The Tribune 5th August 2017
Comments by Simranjit Singh Mann:
Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) states that THIS (Theocratic Hindu Indian State) has not signed and ratified the following UN treaties, covenants and protocols:
UN Human Rights treaties, protocols and covenants:-
- 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
- 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees.
- 1954 Convention relating to Status of Stateless Persons.
- 1960 Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples.
- 1965 International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
- 1966 Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
- 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees. It is because there are still 30,000 Sikh Stateless refugees in Kashmir since 1947.
- 1972 Treaty on the Limitation of Anti-Ballistic Missile System.
- 1972 Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage. If this Convention had been followed, neither the Darbar Sahib, the Golden Temple would not have been reduced to rubble nor the Babri Masjid in 1992.
- 1984 Convention against Torture and other Cruel Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
- 1984 Safeguard and guaranteeing protection of the Rights of those facing the death penalty.
- 1995 Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
- 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.
- 1997 Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of anti-Personnel Mines and their Destruction (the Ottawa Convention on the abolition of landmines).
- 2001 Rome Statute, by virtue of which the International Criminal Court has been set up at the Hague.
- 2010 The Convention on Cluster Munitions prohibits all use, stockpiling, production and transfer of Cluster Munitions.
If THIS has not accepted these UN laws then how can the US recommend the communal Hindu state to be a member of the U.N Security Council? It would be a blunder for the US to fight for a state that has committed the genocide of the Sikh peoples with impunity. Therefore, we would suggest caution till the Hindu state fulfils its humanitarian obligations. Late Mrs. Enenor Roosevelt who took pains to make humanitarian laws a UN obligation will turn in her grave if under the present circumstances the Hindu state is made a member of the Security Council. This will shame America.
Simranjit Singh Mann (firstname.lastname@example.org)